The XF100 utilizes Canon's XF Codec – a file-based MPEG-2 compression with an MXF File Wrapper. If you record a great deal of MXF footages with Canon XF100 and desire to edit them with Final Cut Pro 6/7, you may encounter dilemma like the MXF files can't be recognized by FCP 6/7.
And the truth is, it is possible to smoothly import Canon XF100 MXF clips to FCP 6/7, as long as you convert Canon XF100 MXF to Final Cut Pro compatible ProRes 422 codec first.
Here I recommend you the professional MXF to FCP Converter for Mac from Pavtube Studion that works fine for me. I like the batch processing and joining of multiple mxf videos into one file. The editing feature to trim the recorded videos is great, as I can control the content for conversion.
To help those who may face the same problem like me, or want to rewrap MXF to Prores .mov on Mac for HD editing in Final Cut Pro 6/7, I here list a few steps with the fast MXF video conversion.
1. Download Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac, install this Canon XF100 MXF to FCP X converter. Import or drag and drop the XF100 MXF files to the converter you want to convert.
2. Click "Format" bar to choose output format. Click and choose "Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)", it's the best format for editing in FCP 6/7.
3. If you want to customize the output settings, you can click "Settings" button to adjust the resolution, bitrate, etc.
4. Click "Convert" button to start transcode Canon XF100 MXF to ProRes 422 for FCP 6/7. with the excellent MXF to Mac Converter, you can use XF100 MXF files on Mac as you want.
- There's a guide about how to Import Media files to FCP on Pavtube website, you can read it.
P.S. If you are windows users, you can try MXF MultiMixer from Pavtube, which is a wonderful MXF multi audio track/ channel preserver, mixer and converter supporting Multi-track MXF importing and exporting.
Canon MXF related guides:
How to convert Canon MXF to FCP 6/7?
Transfer Canon C300 MXF to FCP/Quicktime for editing
Two ways to import Canon XF305 MXF to FCP
Convert Canon XF300 MXF to iMovie/FCE
Does XF105 MXF Compatible with FCP
Canon XF300/XF305 MXF to iMovie
Import Canon C500 MXF to Aperture 3
Import C500 MXF to FCP 6